Monday: classes for ages 7 and up
5-7pm Intro to Guitar Music Class with Dan (ages 7 and up) Guitar concepts will be introduced for beginners. Differences between acoustic and electric guitars will be explored. We will begin to understand the fret board through tuning and learning common note relationships. Chords and their relationship to scales will be touched upon while learning to play. Basic guitar maintenance will be covered including string changing and troubleshooting problems. Practice outside of class is vital in the early stages of learning guitar. Therefore, having use of a guitar at home is highly recommended.
$190 for 7wk series, or $75/month (Aug-Dec) for 14 wk semester ($375).
Tuesday: classes for ages 3-5yrs
10:30-12:30pm Roots Music and Picnic (ages 3-5 yrs) We will explore children's interests joyfully through dancing and singing. Folk, blues and country songs will provide a backdrop for music games and rhythm exercises. An assortment of hand percussion instruments will be available for counting out basic rhythms in 2/2, 4/4 and 3/4 time. And after making their own music they can enjoy their packed picnic lunch while listening to nature's music.
$105 for 7wk series, or $42/month (Aug-Dec) for 14 wk semester ($210).
Wednesday: classes for ages 10 and up
2:30-4:30pm Music in the Real World (ages 10 and up) Music in the Real World is a Music Education program for young people, ages 10 yrs and older. Learn the ins and outs of Music Theory and Performance. Explore technical basics of Recording and Instrument Maintenance through this highly interactive and hands-on approach within a personal in-home recording studio. Song structure and lyrical development will be explored within the context of songwriting. These song ideas can be recorded.
$190 for 7wk series, or $75/month (Aug-Dec) for 14 wk semester ($380).
Thursday: classes for ages 5-7yrs
1:45-3:15pm Exploring Music (ages 5-7) We will explore the joys of the musical world by singing and experiencing rhythm through children's folk songs and dancing. Participants will have the opportunity to sing, play hand percussion and dance (both in groups and individually). They will explore self expression through songwriting. We will record some of these songs and listen to ourselves played back.
$105 for 7wk series, or $42/month (Aug-Dec) for 14 wk semester ($210 total).
We offer sibling discounts (30% off semester price for additional child) and multi class discounts(10% off semester price).
Music in the Real World class general topics to be covered
1. Basic Instrument maintenance
- Rhythm (vs coordination)
- Notation (basic music reading)
- Chords (chord construction, basic and advanced, identification)
- Key signature (how keys work)
- Scales and modes (how they relate to chords and keys)
- Instruments (different types of instruments with some very basic instruction on each)
- Practice Techniques (how/when to practice)
- Playing with other people (how to find others, how to learn from everyone, band/musician politics)
- Musical styles (playing funk on the guitar is different from playing blues)
- Acoustics (how your space sounds and whether that’s good or not)
- Organization (workflow and ergonomics of your recording space)
- Software/Hardware (differentiating between available programs)
- Recording Techniques (mic placement, signal path, how to capture the sounds you want)
1. Basic Instrument maintenance
- Changing strings
- Keeping instruments clean
- Minor repairs
- Modifications to an instrument
- Things best left to extreme music professionals
- Building your own guitar/ instrument building